Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Who Are These People #1: Palm Reading: Brother Harry and Friends

5/17/16
Last night I went to an auction and bought a zillion cabinet cards and photographs for $25.  As I sorted through the images this morning, I was intrigued by the question of who are these people, how did their photographs end up with me and what is the meaning of life.

So, until I run out of energy, I am going to do a series on some of the cool images that I have uncovered.

This first image is a photograph that measures 1" wide by 1 1/4" tall.  It has a blue stain in the upper left corner that adds interest.  The stain does not appear to be related to the development process but probably spilled onto the photo at some point in its long history.

I am not a great historian but the manner of dress suggests to me a turn-of-the century era for the photograph.

Why is this photo so small?  Could it have been held in a locket?  Possibly--but I think an image with two women for a locket does not send the right message if we are romantic traditionalists.

A clue might be the words written clearly on the back of this tiny photograph:  "Brother Harry and Friends."


5/18/16

After contemplating the idea of talking about particular photographs, I decided I should actually make a project with each photograph that peaks my interest.

Because this photo is so tiny, my thoughts went to putting it into a locket or small niche.  That was abandoned as cliche so I went for a book structure because I have made these before and they are always fun.

Part of the serendipity of working on a project with a book is that I like the title of the book to mean something to the work.  Today I selected Palm Reading by Dennis Fairchild and Julie Kaschkis (Running Press, 1995    9781561386260) in part because of the theme the title indicates but also because it is a small book to match the small photograph.


The easiest way to make a window in a book is with a drill but the process does not always go smoothly.  Today, drilling the hole went well but adding the two screws on the back of the book so I could add hanging wire went wild.


Then it was just a matter of finding the baby hand to go with the palm reading and the joke eye.


Lastly, something needed to be added to frame the photo and show it off.


The back of the book replicates the handwritten message on the back of the photo.


And, so, the first of the Who Are These People projects is Palm Reading:  Brother Harry and Friends.

  




1 comment:

  1. So enjoyed your reflective questions about those who have entered your life ...on paper...via...auction. Reality is relative.

    ReplyDelete