Monday, July 10, 2017

2016 Mexico City La Danze Macabra Workshop with Michael deMeng: Dia Uno y Dos

2016 Mexico City La Danze Macabra Workshop with Michael deMeng
October 21 to November 3, 2016

Friday, October 21, 2016

For the fourth time I am off to Mexico for a workshop with Michael deMeng organized by Colleen Darling.  Colleen always does a wonderful job of putting an exciting tour together and this year the featured location is Mexico City. 

Denice was able to take me to the Coach USA bus station where I caught the ride to Chicago’s O’Hare Field.  The bus was a little late going out because it had been delayed by Chicago traffic on its first run and there was a threat of a back up reported by radio caused by a car fire near the Edens exit.  That proved to be a non-issue and I was able to get to the International terminal in plenty of time.

I flew Aeromexico direct to Mexico City.  The flight was supposed to leave at 3:09 p.m. but was delayed about one-half hour due to heavy traffic volume in the skies around Chicago.  We were scheduled to arrive in Mexico City at 7:23 p.m. but despite the delay in leaving we actually arrived a bit early.

The down side came in getting my luggage which turned out to be the fact that they had off-ramp storage space for the luggage that is considered “mas grande” and mine qualified.

The cool thing was my friend Lois was flying in on an Aeromexico flight from San Francisco at about the same time.  We managed to meet up, exchange US money for pesos, and share a cab ride to our first hotel, The Hotel Catedral.  When we walked into the lobby there was a host of art buddies who had just got back from dinner including Michael, Colleen, Janet, Sue, and Marilyn.

After Lois and I got into our rooms, we hit the hotel restaurant for a light dinner and drinks.  I was off to bed by 11:30 p.m. tired from the day’s journey.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Today I was up at 6:30 a.m., breakfasted in the buffet at the Hotel Catedral and ready to begin our tour at 9:00 a.m.  We were joined by our Mexico City tour guide Felipe Reissenweber who is very knowledgeable about the city and art in general. 

Today is a special day in Mexico City as the Museo de Arte Popular is hosting a parade call the Alebrijes Monumentales.  Alebrijes are the brightly colored fantastical creatures made in Oaxaca and in this parade they are represented by large paper mache creatures on floats.  We started our day by walking amongst the floats, not only enjoying them for their sake but also harvesting ideas for our upcoming mask making workshop.

The rest of the day was spent around the historic Zocolo area of Mexico City.  We visited the Palacio Nacional where we say our first Diego Rivera murals. 

Then we went to the Antiguo Colegio De San ‘Ildefonso to see murals by Jose Clemente Orozco and other muralists. 

This museum also had a Chinese art exhibit and I really liked the mask collection.

Next was the beautiful historic post office, the Palacio Postal.

As we left this museum, we stumbled onto the actual Alebrijes parade.  The route was really crowded so we could not see the floats on the street.

On to the Palacio de Bellas Arte to eat lunch.  The lunch was a very elegant affair but I ended up eating a hamburger because the menu was in Spanish and I did not ask for help.  I probably should have been more adventurous.

Because the ticket line to get into the Bellas Arte was so long, most of us (except for Janet and Felipe Reissenweber) went to the Museo de la Alameda to see more of the works of Diego Rivera including a huge mural which was saved when the hotel that contained it was devastated by an earthquake.

Then it was time to explore the collection of the Palacio de Bellas Artes (Palace of Fine Arts).  This included work by Orozco, and Siqueros.

Micheal, Sue, Lois, Marilyn and I went for a drink at the Mezcalaereia la Casa de las Sirenas.

The group has supper this night at a very cool restaurant called the  El Balcon del Zocalo which does overlook the big square.  I had goat for supper, something I have never had.  Then it was back to the hotel and in my room by 10:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment