Monday, November 18, 2019

2019 06 Tanzania Day Seven and Eight

Friday, June 21, 2019

Today we got up at 5:15 a.m., had tea delivered at 5:45 a.m. and got ready in time to meet Ernest at a boat by 6:30 a.m.

What followed was a five hour cruise on the Rufiji River which also included a beach breakfast near a basking crocodile.

Here is what we saw on this glorious day:
Our shack from the river

Yes, there are crocodiles in the river

Chris, hard at work

Yes, there are hippos in the river

African Fish Eagle



Cape Buffalo

Now it was time to pull in and have our breakfast on the river.

Breakfast lounge

Denice at the breakfast buffet

Donnie and I got a chance to go fishing

 Me, just after my first cast went two feet right into the river in front of me (Photo: Denice)

Don and Marijeanne

We were back by 11:30 a.m. and had a chance to freshen up before our daily lunch at 1:00 p.m.

Me, Becky, Butati, Chris, Marijeanne and Don (Photo by Selous staff)

Today was special because Becky had arranged for her guide friend Butati, who works at a different park, to travel over to see her here. This travel was challenging for Butati as he had to hitch a ride for 200+ miles on the back of a motorcycle, catch a bus that would break down and get here much later than planned. He is a very interesting man as his father was the first ranger in the park where he works now. That park is the Tanzanian park you go to if you want to see the chimpanzee.

Marijeanne, Donald and Denice will spend the night fly camping. Here is the catalog description: "Fly camping takes sleep-outs to a whole new level. Think camp-fire, think bush dinner, think lying under a mosquito net or in a ‘boma-type’ enclosure seeing the Milky Way like you've never seen it before… this is what fly camping is all about. Yes, it may take you away from the comfort of your luxury lodge or tent and the safety net of mobile phones, laptops, and Wi-Fi, but this is an experience hard to top! Fly camping is getting back to basics and experiencing Africa at its authentic best. You get to enjoy watching the sunset, witnessing the night come alive with the nocturnal wildlife, falling asleep to the beat of Africa's bush, then waking up with the first light of dawn to witness a brand-new day unfolding!"

Because I use a sleep apnea machine at night I was not able to go fly camping as there is no power at the site. Instead I went a game drive with Deo, the guide who drove us in from the air strip. I met a couple from Lincoln, Nebraska, named Dale and Susan and they were nice enough to not mind me tagging alone.

Here is what we saw:

 When we got back to the lodge, I changed my mind about eating alone in my room and instead foisted myself on Dale and Susan again, We were joined by one of the lodge’s assistant managers to make our table a foursome. The discussion around the table was interesting.

I was back to my room and asleep by 10 which meant I could get at least 7 hours of sleep for the first time in awhile.  But before I shut my eyes, I took a few photos to show what a Tanzanian night is like in this camp.

Saturday, June 22, 2019

Today I got up at 5:00 a.m., had tea delivered at 5:30 a.m. and got ready by 6:00 a.m. One person had told me to be ready by 6, another told me 6:30 a.m. Around 6:15 a.m. the staff came to get me wondering where I was but it all worked out.

The tents the over-nighters slept in while hippos walked by

We took a 45 minute game ride over to the fly camp where everyone else was so I could join them for breakfast.

Ernest then drove us from the fly camp to a hot springs.

Here is what we saw:

A reminder that wherever we go, it is a killing field

Oblivious to the Obvious 

At the hot springs, everyone else went swimming but I do not swim so I took pictures instead.

Donnie doing some kind of African path walkin' jive thing

After everyone was back together again, we headed out on another game drive with Ernest.

Here is what we saw:

Our first and only snake

Then we came across an actual killing field. 


We took a long ride and did not get back to the lodge until lunch time which is 1:00 p.m. The seven of us had lunch together and then headed back to our buildings as we need to pack as we are leaving early tomorrow morning.

Ernest, Butati and Butati's friend

At 4:00 p.m. it was time to join Ernest for our last game drive in the Selous area. Tonight we had a great game drive.

Here is what we saw:

Don, Marijeanne, Chris, Becky, Denice and me (photo by Butati)

Tonight everyone in camp had dinner together at one large table hosted by the Assistant Manager Promise. Not only was food good but we were visited by two bush babies so Denice and I got to see what has been raiding our room for food.

No comments:

Post a Comment