Wednesday, January 25, 2023

The Metal Squall Drowned What Could Not Be Shouted

 This time I have set out to make a mask using a tool in some capacity in order to prepare for the class I am going to be teaching this year at Shake Rag Alley in Mineral Point (WI), Toolin'.

I decided to start with a flat wood surface, rather than a found object, so I selected a 10" X 20" cradled board. Using various mixed media techniques I got a background down on the surface.


Then I attached an auto license plate that I just found lying on a downtown Milwaukee street. Then I worked on that metal surface to get it ready.

My mask substrate is a piece of metal I found somewhere (but I no longer remember when or where). 



After I got the right tool (a sharpener that will be a nose) I also found a dentist tool for making teeth that I thought would be cool to use. The eye is some kind of electrical motor part and it still spins after being attached. 

Then it was time to do the final painting.








Thus we have The Metal Squall Drowned What Could Not Be Shouted. It consists of a Metal Find, Cradled Board (10"x20"), Sharpening Tool, Dental Tool, Electrical Remnant, Glass Eye, License Plate, Mexican Tin Heart, Tin, Nails (13), Metal Ban, Paint and Collage. It is 29"H X 15"W X 5"D.





No comments:

Post a Comment