Sunday, May 7, 2023

2023 05 Encaustic Assemblage with Sarah Rehmer at Shake Rag Alley

I was off to Shake Rag Alley in Mineral Point, WI, for the class, Encaustic Collage + Assemblage with Sarah Rehmer. While I love encaustic I have yet to try it at home so taking advantage of studio work in this medium will be a pleasure.

My luxurious workspace in the Lind Pavilion at Shake Rag

All our work will be in or on cradled boards

The first pieces I made ended up being a triptych that I call Human Trafficking. The center piece is called Can't Miss Four Way.

The initial design



The last addition at Shake Rag was a bone from Sarah's collection

This is what the piece looked like when I left the workshop.

Did some work on the edges and back at home and this is the finished center portion of the triptych. 

The right side of the triptych is called Put Bait On Hook. 




This was the bone I added from Sarah's collection at Shake Rag. When I got the piece home, no bone. I have no idea where it fell off but I needed to raid my own small bone collection to find a replacement. 



The left side of the triptych is called Press Bait In the Hole.







Thus we have Human Trafficking. 

The next piece was influenced by Mexican loteria cards, especially El Corazon card. 



This is how the piece looked when I left Shake Rag.

This is how it looks after a little bit of engineering and painting at home. 

Thus we have In Its Place Stood the Empty House Of a Heart In Trouble. It is 12"H X 10"W X 2"D. The title comes from a Mark Strand poem The Everyday Enchantment Of Music.

The last piece I made was based on the work of Georgia O'Keeffe not unlike

“Pelvis IV,” 1944, by Georgia O’Keeffe




At home I added the nails and some paint to complete the project. 



Thus we have Scraped From the Bone Of Experience. It is 16"H X 8"W X 5"D. The title for this piece comes from a poem by Mark Strand called Proem. 

I want to thank Sarah Rehmer for being a good and generous teacher and for the fine facility at Shake Rag Alley for us itinerant art makers. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment