Sunday, July 28, 2024

2024 07 But What Eyes

This piece began because I bought a photograph for $1.00 that was probably a photograph taken by a U.S. soldier in France during World War II. Besides being a great photograph, it had a fascinating inscription on the back of the photo. 

"My best girl friend in Paris. She was only the care takers daughter, but what eyes."

From the beginning, the story behind the piece was going to need objects that reflected a 1940s feel.

This is a hunk of wood I found while photographing street art in 
the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago (IL)

I bought this printer's tray for $3 probably because all the divisions were gone.

This is a foundry sand mold that has a gorgeous patina. 


My goal in making this piece was not to paint up the whole thing but let the colors of the objects be enough. That worked until I decided to use this silver frame which had to be painted so it fit the overall effort of the piece. 

The sand mold had to be cut down to fit inside the printer's tray.

I copied the inscription from the back of the photo so that it could be read.

This little French girl, born and raised during the great conflict of World War II and Nazi occupation of Paris, now sitting on a U. S. Army Jeep, was so inspirational in creating the story of this piece. 


I found an old atlas in my stuff so that I could find Paris on a map.

This brass keyhole cover was in my possession one day before it found its way into this art.

These cherubs weigh a ton



Thus we have But What Eyes. It is 21"H X 11"W X 4"D . It consists of a Printer's Tray, Foundry Sand Mold, Wood Scrap, Tin Box Cover, Photo, Magnifying Glass, Drawer Pull. Metal Decorative Basket With Cherubs, Beads, Brass Keyhole Cover, Paper and Paint.





No comments:

Post a Comment