I am going to do blogs about the three pieces I made at Bellissima Art Escapes with the assemblage artists Gary and Mary Ann Carlson. (Feel free to read about the entire Bellissima experience at
This was the first piece that I worked on at Bellissima. The entire intent of me traveling all the way to work with the Carlsons was to learn about asymmetrical construction in assemblage. Here is what I had after the first day.
When I came back the second day I was not all that thrilled with the construction of this work. It felt to me like I was not comfortable with asymmetry (which I guess at this point was true) and I was just sticking stuff on my design to push it outside the box and my comfort zone.
So I went to work again.
At the end of the second day, this is what I had going. After consulting with Gary, we decided my piece, even though I tried to extend my materials past the symmetrical boundaries, have greater value being more in my usual style. While this should have thrilled me (because I have a large ego), it made me think I might be missing the whole point of the workshop.
Believe it or not, I did dream overnight about how I was going to alter my project to get it more asymmetrical. However, it appears that I was so eager to work on my project I took no photos at the workshop.
The answer was simple: there were give aways at this workshop and on that table I found parts to what I assume were a lamp. Adding these two elements made my brain explode--I am not kidding. The next two blogs about the other works I made will show that the concept of asymmetry was now in my toolbox.
I did ship home my art projects and got to work on them right away. Here is the finished project.











No comments:
Post a Comment