Tuesday, September 22, 2026

2026 09 Spirit Protectors: Metal Figurative Assemblage

   
Leighanna Light appealing to the Spirit Protectors to make this class go right

Spirit Protectors: Metal Figurative Assemblage 

with Deck in a Box: Image Transfers on Plaster, Metal, & Paper

September 17-20, 2026

Instructor: Leighanna Light

Shake Rag Alley, Mineral Point, WI

Leighanna Light came to Shake Rag Alley this September to teach two workshops: Spirit Protectors: Metal Figurative Assemblage and Deck in a Box: Image Transfers on Plaster, Metal, & Paper.

The first workshop began at 9:00 a.m. Thursday morning. Here is the course description: "I created my first Spirit Protectors during a difficult time in my life, and can’t seem to stop—I want to share with you! On day one, I’ll teach my favorite surface design techniques on metal: leaf printing, faux etching, texturizing, and metal transfers, and we’ll prepare our bases & create cool, funky faces. On day two, I’ll share tips & tricks to achieve balance, contrast, & a powerful composition. We will cut tin, combine it with our metal & make beautiful woven pieces. Learn simple cold connection techniques, as well as how to safely & properly operate tools. Finally, put it all together to create two figurative assemblages attached to a wooden base. Your Spirit Protector can be as large as your imagination can take you! No experience necessary. Materials Fee includes: All hardware, screws, nuts & bolts, nails & wire, paint, glaze, gel medium, clear coat, wax, hanging hardware & most tools. You will leave with at least one finished piece; however, most people complete 2 in this workshop."

The Lind Pavilion at Shake Rag Alley from my worktable



Class samples




Here are some Spirit Protectors as class samples








I begin to work


The person with the most metal wins


This is "4 U Soap"--which sold at the end of the class to one of my classmates

It is time for workshop number 2!!!

The second class began on Saturday the 19th called Deck in a Box: Image Transfers on Plaster, Metal, & Paper. Here is the class description: "In this 2-day workshop, create a luscious deck of plaster & metal cards, each 4 1/4” x 3 1/4”, that will reside in a small metal box embellished with transfers and plaster. Learn multiple techniques to transfer images onto plaster, gesso, and metal, and then take each transfer to a finished work of art. You can explore a theme or subject matter with this project, use this as a shrine to someone or a place that is close to your heart, or allow yourself the freedom to learn the different techniques and experiment. This is a fun, loose, lighthearted workshop with lots of time to play and experiment with different products and techniques. All experience levels welcome—I hope that you can join us!"



The person with the most metal wins, part two!!!

Before I uncovered them, these were my efforts;
weirdly, I never took photos of my uncovered images

Here are some images created by my workshops companions.






I did put one image on a tin lid and while I had some extra time I began to mock up this assemblage. Time will tell if it goes any farther.


I want to thank Leighanna Light for a fun four days. Also thanks to my classmates and all the great folks at Shake Rag Alley for providing this opportunity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment