Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day in Waupaca


Today was Father's Day and I spent the day in and around the Grand Old Army Home in King, Wisconsin.  King is the veteran's home where my father, Warren Leonard Niebuhr, was buried in March of 2006.  Today I visited his grave with my wife Denice, my Mommy and my sister Barbara. 



Normally at King on this day there is a picnic and a parade but that was all set aside by bad weather.  We ate inside today and had time to visit the museum. 

Then it was off junkin'. 

First stop was a place near Waupaca called The Red Mill.  This historic building, located on a river with a covered bridge built in 1970, has beautiful grounds to walk.  There is a glass shop whose stock was not of interest to me.



The main portion of The Red Mill is a combination shop and museum.  We spent quick a bit of time walking around and checking out the displays.  I had to go out to the van and get my camera because of all the really cool items that were on display. 

Then it was on to the Weller Store in Rural, WI.  This is a funky shop in a funky town located on a beautiful little river.  But who cares about that with the shop full of goodies to cart home.  Today's haul included an old tool box, an old tin box, five hinges, some plastic pieces that will work as embellishments and a vintage drill.  However, the coolest stuff was some instant relatives made up of five vintage photographs and eight tin types. 

You can see all of the photos from the day, plus some of my cat Biakabutuka and a Scott Walker protest day at my Flickr site at http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniebuhr/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by the store today, Gary! Sorry I missed you!!

    ReplyDelete