Wednesday, August 7, 2024

2024 08 Both the Prophecy and the Ambush of Hearing It

 


One of the things all artists need to learn is that the original idea for a piece may not be what eventually becomes your art project. 


I have long been a fan of the assemblages by Kris Kuksi from Kansas. The amount of artistry in just one piece of his is overwhelming. I thought: well, let's give this a try. 


I got this toy military helmet set at a flea market because...well, who wouldn't?



After seeing an exhibition at the Grohmann (Milwaukee School of Engineering) that used foundry sand mold forms, I have been drawn to use the ones that I have in my stash. 


Here is how I decided my Kuksi-inspired piece would begin. 

This old cabinet drawer would be the substrate



I thought this shelf would make a cool god-like overseer to the central figure

Never underestimate what ridiculous stuff can be used in your piece

These plastic hands were at the Dollar Store





The whole Kuksi thing went out the window pretty quick. I did manage to get a few figures on the helmet lion but I never could conceptualize the style so I just went back to me. 








Stencils were used to decorate the side of the cabinet



Thus we have Both the Prophecy and the Ambush of Hearing It. The title comes from Hala Alyan's poem, Relapse Dream Ending With My Grandmother’s Hands. The piece is 27"H X 16"W X 11"D and pretty darn heavy! It consists of a Drawer, Shelf, Wood Foundry Sand Casting Form, Earrings (2), Bocce Balls (2), Metal Folding Basket, Toy Military Helmet, Doll Head, HO Figurines (3), Plastic Hands (2), Eyes (2), Ceramic Figure, Muskrat Skull, Jewelry Findings (2), Metal Finding, Cotton, Rust Dyed Paper, Paper and Paint.





1 comment:

  1. Now spray paint the whole thing white and it will look like Kuksi's work again 🙃

    ReplyDelete