Sunday, July 21, 2019

2019 02 Noir: the Sordid Chronicles of Shady Characters with Michael deMeng in New Orleans Day Four and Five

NOIR – THE SORDID CHRONICLES OF SHADY CHARACTERS

February 10-16, 2019

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Today we had a change of plans because an optional plantation tour was cancelled by an all day rain. So this meant we worked on my Noir characters all day.

Sam Spade and Casper Gutman

Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo

John and Marilyn Werst took Karen and I out to eat at Bombay Club where I had the Gulf Fish dish.

At 7:00 p.m. our annual transportation chief Mike picked us up for a trip to Chickie Wah Wah where Jon Cleary was playing piano at 8:00 p.m. Jon Cleary is a great singer pianist who reminds me of Dr. John without all the hoopla. He is a great pianist and stunned me with his use of the keyboards during two sets of great music. It was a pleasant evening sitting with Karen, Kristine and Carol.

Photo from Yelp

We were home by 11:00 p.m. and I felt great.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Today we worked in the studio in the morning before breaking for lunch. I mostly spent the morning getting the collage on my stage.



This afternoon Katherine offered to arrange a three hour drag queen make up workshop in the style and colors of film noir. I will say this: there was no way I would do this but…afterwards I had some regrets when I met the make up artist who taught the workshop.


The people who took the workshop did looked great. The proof is in these photos taken in the Hotel St. Marie lobby prior to the arrival of our front line band.
















Every year I love the parade and pretty much hate the idea of wearing a costume. I do my best to get around the requirement set upon me by my "friends" but this year it was especially difficult as the theme was so close to my heart. So, I might have skipped the make up workshop but I did bring a costume.


Once Panorama Brass Band arrived, it got hot, hot, hot.


With the band in the lead and the artists as the Second Line, we marched around the French Quarter.








Hey...look who crashed our party. It is the star of the 1954 film noir, Suddenly.








One of the coolest things about a parade...everyone can get into it.



Our parade was cut short by distance this year because of major road construction on Bourbon Street. Although the route was short, the night was young and no one wanted to stop once the parade was done moving.





 








Tonight Katherine has arranged dinner reservation at Brennan's.  I sat with Lisa, Kristine, and Carol.

From the selections available to our group I ate the endive salad, the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin (don’t judge) and the world famous bananas foster. I left the camera at the hotel so I could enjoy the evening which I did. With gusto.

No comments:

Post a Comment