Thursday, July 25, 2019

2019 02 Noir: the Sordid Chronicles of Shady Characters with Michael deMeng in New Orleans Day Eight at night, Nine and Ten

NOIR – THE SORDID CHRONICLES OF SHADY CHARACTERSFebruary 10-16, 2019

Saturday, February 16, 2019

See the previous post for the famous Michael deMeng critique held on Saturday.

In the evening, we all gathered in the hotel for the Farewell Party in the Vacherie.

You never know who will show up.



Tonight it is our chance to view the Krewe de Vieux Parade: City of Yes, Yes, Yes, oh God Yes. It is crude to view so look away if you wish.


























To end the night I went to Vacherie with Kristine, Michael and Andrea until midnight.

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Today is a free day and most of the group has left NOLA. I knew this would be true and all along planned this as my museum day. I started by walking down to Canal where I ate breakfast at The Ruby Slipper.





Once I got to the Ruby Slipper I had to wait for a spot at the counter. So, more time to take photographs. 






I decided to park myself in front of these advertisements to see if I could get some street photographs.



So then, this guy popped up and wanted me to take his photograph (a phenomenon that happens to me often while trying to shoot discreetly on the street). Turns out he is a counselor to children and did a rap for me about kids, the street and NOLA. 


Like often happens in this crazy city, I met two women at the breakfast bar, a mom and her step-daughter. It is pretty cool breakfast conversation when the mom is a former division one basketball player and later a referee and the daughter is a kindergarten teacher like my wife Denice. They were from Detroit so it was easy to understand their accent.

I rode the trolley by myself for the first time and actually managed to get to City Park and the New Orleans Museum of Art. The Museum has three floors and is filled with world class art.

The highlight of the Museum’s current exhibitions was the display of recently donated photographs from such luminaries as Diane Arbus, Dorothea Lange and Margaret Bourke White along with many others. The donation of 1300 prints was the retirement gift of the second in command in the Museum’s photography department. At this point they only had out about 50ish so the reveal over the next few exhibitions is going to be special.













Joseph Cornell 

I really enjoyed this assemblage with a dark story: Thornton Dial's Lower Ninth Ward


Louise Nevelson


I even had the opportunity to shoot to self portraits.



After lunch in the Museum café, I walked the sculpture gardens.






Next up was a ride of the trolley back to Canal Street and then a short walk to the Ogden Museum where they had an exhibition of contemporary Southern photography. Here is some of the other art from that museum.










I walked back to The French Quarter and decided to get in some street photography,





One of the most famous photos of all time:
Robert Franks shot of a NOLA trolley that assesses American racism

I did not have the underlying subject matter but I shot a series of trolleys anyway



So I am shooting this really cool door when I have to wait for a guy...who walks into my frame and gives me an even better photo in my opinion. 






Who knew I would find the Mod Squad on the prowl in NOLA?








I want to call this photo "The Heat." After I took this photo I talked to the motorcycle owner and thanked him for employing people in Milwaukee.





An abandoned Mardi Gras uniform owned by a street busker





The last thing on my agenda today was to meet up with Michael, Andrea and Taylor at Manilito’s Bar. The four of us had a wide ranging conversation that might be some of the most interesting stuff I have talked about into the night in awhile.

I got back to the hotel around 10:30 p.m—but was too tired to pack. I set the alarm for leaving day and hit the hay.

Monday, February 18, 2019

Monday was just a day to get home. My flight on Delta out of NOLA left at 11:10 a.m. and flew to Detroit.  After a short layover I was on a flight that got me home to Milwaukee by 4:35 p.m.

So, once again I learned a lot in NOLA and had a fun time. Thanks to Michael, Andrea and Katherine plus all my art buddies for another unique experience in NOLA.

Know one thing--if confronted by weirdness...



...embrace it with gusto.

No comments:

Post a Comment