Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Shield

I had a little scare the other day with a close relative (everything is fine now--thank you for asking).  It left me with an afternoon on my hands where all I could do was wait.  I did not feel like reading, writing or even viewing anything.

So, I went to the one solace that always generates some brain activity:  I rummaged my own basement.

I just need to make something so when I went downstairs I grabbed the first toy figure I could find:  a monster of some sort, not unlike the Creature from the Black Lagoon.  Then it was into my box of small metals for some random pieces (a round piece on a pole for the head, a tin candle reflector, and drawer handle for the shield), grab the Apoxy Clay and some acrylic paint, and back upstairs to the worktable.

Three hours later I got the phone call I was waiting for and could calm down.  I was also half way through this piece.  Next day, after another three hours, after adding one bead and a chain, it was done.



I call it The Shield.  Despite the fact that it is about 8" tall and has some weight to it, I like to think of this as an amulet, or a necklace worn to protect the wearer from evil. 





I know it worked for me. 

4 comments:

  1. This is a very cool piece-and it did it's job as an amulet for you. Glad to hear things turned out for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art as thereapy....nothing better:) The result is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very cool piece Gary, I like the idea of the shield/guardian, and glad to hear everything else went ok.

    ReplyDelete