Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Devil To You, My Friend


This is what I posted on September 7th about this piece:

Full confession time: I recently attacked the piece called The Protector and Dremeled off the evil devil doll from the top of the piece...
Why did I hacked off the devil baby? My story for this piece is that the kachina-like figure is a protector of children but he has failed to save the baby in this piece. Sad, eh? The devil baby was the reason why the kachina failed. He was having a gay old time celebrated his victory as time ran out on the protector.


However, the more I looked at this piece, the more I thought the drama was stolen by there being too many stories being told at once. So, I hacked off the devil baby (which, trust me, was not as easy to do as it sounds).


Then I started to have second thoughts. Should I really mess around with a piece once it is done? I am still not sure what the answer should be on that one. Either way, here is the old version and if it does not sell (hahahahahahahahahahahahaha) I will take a photo of it to show you when I get it back.

That was when the piece was headed for the front window of the Walker's Point Center for the Arts annual member's show exhibition.  It did not sell (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha).

So now this piece is headed off to the Cedarburg Cultural Center for a show called All Things Big and Small during January of 2012.  I thought it was time that I posted some new photos of the decapitated piece as it looks now. 





Is it just me or is the balance better on the new version?  I think it is more dramatic this way and I am pleased with it now.

2 comments:

  1. It does look more balanced, Gary. Still very twisted and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both versions are awesome, but I think you did the right thing, it is more menacing this way.

    ReplyDelete