Sunday, May 13, 2018

My Mommy's Collages

My Mommy's Collages

April, 2018



I had a chance to stay with my Mommy for a week at her home in Crivitz, WI, while my sister Barbara and her husband Bob were on vacation.

Because I cannot sit still for a minute without falling asleep, I decided to take some art supplies with me to keep busy.  My decision to take my collage materials was in part due to an idea that I might be able to get my Mom to make some art with me.


I will be the first to admit that I kind of thrust the terror of the blank canvas on my Mom.  During her life she had dabbled in a number of crafts most of which involve sewing of some kind.  This was new to her but she was a trooper.  


Day One saw us get some background papers down on our two substraits.  



I would only get my Mom for a few hours each day but she was willing to give it that much.  Like all artists she had doubts, saying things like "I am no good" or "I don't know what I am doing" not realizing that is what a lot of artists say in their head (or sometimes out loud) while working on a project.  


Day Two involved working with our central image and the supporting cast.  


One of the things that was a challenge to impart is the idea of play.  When do we lose the ability to just create without an editor?  


I thought I would have to do most of the cutting for my Mom.  That proved to be false.  Despite a challenged set of hands, she was able to cut out all her chosen images for her collage with no problems.


We took some time out to make a collage of a different sort.  Known as Family Casserole, a carefully and artfully saved forever by my sister Barb in a cook book and family photo album she made a few years ago, my Mommy and I made our dinner together.  Now that I am retired I have started to cook and the old family recipes are a delight to make.



Day Three was painting.  To my surprise, after very little instruction, my Mom grab the brush and dived right in.  

Here are some images of some of the collages I worked on along side my Mommy (some finished, some not):




We never got a chance to finish the works that Mom started.  My sister Barb suggested I could take the works home, finish them and frame them as a gift for Mother's Day 2018.

So I did. 








Here is Mommy's other gift for 2018--a collage I did.  The image is part (sorry Pop and Barb) of our famous family photo that still hangs in my Mom's den in Crivitz.  It is Mom and I, probably 1954, and it answers the question that provides the title for the piece:

Who Is Mommy's Big Boy? 



I guess I am.




No comments:

Post a Comment