Sunday, June 2, 2019

2018 Oaxaca, Mexico, with Michael deMeng, Day Seven

Dream Monsters and Alebrijes: deMeng de Los Muertos

October 23rd to November 5th, 2018


Monday, October 29, 2018



Every year I make a pilgrimage to an area with street art about a mile or two from the hotel. Getting there can be fun.







My Stephen Shore imitation

I ran into a man who was preparing paper mache puppets for the next comparsa.




Where I am headed is Eduardo Vasconcelos Stadium for baseball. Along the road running along left field there is a wall on that side of the street with a wall across the street where there is a school and a gymnasium. All these walls are covered with street art and every year I go it is all new art.























Walking back each year I try to go a way I have not gone before. It leads me to more interesting stuff on the streets.




 



















Today we had class from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. My goal today is to get some paint on my alebrijes.


Michael deMeng's demo for color

My base coat on the base



Lunch break today was at Conzatti. When we arrived the staff was just starting to arrange their altar for Dia de los Muertos.



By the time we were done dining they had got this far on the altar.


Back in class this afternoon I just kept painting. 




Right outside our workshop door the Holiday Inn staff began to decorate for Dia.




I decided to actually stop working today at 5:00 p.m.  This gave me an opportunity to go to the place we call The Clubhouse for drinks with my art buddies.

Some of us walked down the Alcala to the zocalo where we had dinner.





Nothing says Day of the Dead better than a dinosaur dog. 







Over dinner, plans were laid 

The Return of El Groppo Lobo

The talents of a street artist

What he accomplished for us





With Oaxaca, the possibilities only require you to be willing to step in

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of you all. Looks fabulous! I'm retiring in January and plan to join you one of these upcoming trips! I will depend on you to show me around and find the best cocktails in town!!

    ReplyDelete