Sunday, June 2, 2019

2018 Oaxaca, Mexico, with Michael deMeng, Day Eight and Nine

Dream Monsters and Alebrijes: deMeng de Los Muertos

October 23rd to November 5th, 2018


Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Before class today I took a short walk just to get outside for a minute before class.



In class, our ofrenda is beginning to come together.


My contribution: four pictures of my father with our family

Today we had class from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Michael's class samples

Every deMeng workshop has a color palette

Michael's color demo doll head

Just in case after seeing my photos you think my classmates and I never actually get work done, walk with me around the class room on this morning and see what everyone is up to.

















This is Sue...and she build the guy below (and she has some explaining to do)


Today the Holiday Inn Express staff of Oaxaca (who year after year are delightful to be with--some have been with us since the beginning) is beginning to construct a sand painting and ofrenda for Dia de los Muertos.








After class we strolled down the alcala and discovered the Comparsa Infantil.






















Yes, Coco is really popular in Oaxaca

Some of us walked across the zocolo to Michael's favorite chocolate store, next to the market, were we all sat around tables and enjoyed a drink of hot chocolate. Heather, Marsha, Carol, Marilyn and I cruised the Benito Juarez market.






Pan Muertos for Dia de los Mueros










I stumbled upon the tin dealer I could not find the first time I went to the market and so I was able to load up on Mexican tin for future projects.

We finished the night with consume de polloi at El Jardin. While there we bought some things from Colleen's friend and her family. This sales girl is a delight to see each year.




We had another sighting of El Groppo Lobo







On our walk back to the hotel, we ran across this print maker in a tent near the church and I bought this print by her which now hangs in my computer room right above where I type this.


Even though it was late at night, the library's ofrenda display was open and we joined many other viewers who went in to see the exhibition.






The street buskers are busy on this special night. 





After a casual walk back we all went to bed to get ready for more adventures tomorrow.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

When I came down to breakfast today I was greeted by the completed hotel staff ofrenda.



In the workshop, I checked out my own projects which I am pretty sure are pretty much done.






An early morning stroll through the workshop allowed me to see what everyone else has been working on.



















My projects are done so I decided to walk up the hill across the Pan American highway to see what I can see.





I then headed out to the Xochimilco neighborhood to see if anything was going on in the cemetery.  The answer was no.



A comparsa is always in the making as we get closer to Dia.








When I got back to the classroom, Sue's astounding project is getting even better.


KD's project is rockin' as well

We gathered in the hotel lobby to head over a few blocks away to take a cooking class.


I made it through introductions and the walk to the market to buy our supplies. The smells of the market got me and I made a bee-line back to the hotel.

The rest of this day was spent visiting The Throne of Oaxaca.  Miserable.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again Gary, this brings back such great memories!

    ReplyDelete