Friday, April 3, 2020

This Body I Testify From is a Binoculars Through Which You Watch

This Body I Testify From is a Binoculars Through Which You Watch


In June of 2019 I headed out to Shake Rag Alley in Mineral Point, WI, to take a Michael deMeng workshop called Sanctum of the Forgotten Tune. Here is the course description: "One thing I have noticed about musical instruments is that the old life never really leaves them. The brass, the mahogany, and ivory, though marked, still have a voice … though perhaps it is not a voice that can be heard, but rather seen. In this class, you will bring old discarded instruments, and we will retune them … not to play music … but so that they speak as a visual art form. Using the process of assemblage you will alter and/or combine broken violins, piano keys, trumpets, etc., and give them a new beginning as a shrine or sculpture. Music to your eyes. Extra Credit: You get bonus points if your sanctum is able to make noise!!!"

At home before I left I gathered some supplies to take to Mineral Point.


Some assembly was required




Here is what I got accomplished at the workshop:





Michael deMeng added his drawing talents to the effort








 
This was as far as I got at the workshop

Now almost a year has gone by and because of the current worldwide situation I find I had time on my hands. I got the partially done piece out of my basement and went to work. I added some parts, secured everything, and then painted, painted, painted. 




 










And, thus we have This Body I Testify From is a Binoculars Through Which You Watch. 

This piece is a big girl...72"H x 22"W x 9"D.

The title for this piece comes from a poem by Ilya Kaminsky called In Bombardment, Galya.






No comments:

Post a Comment