Wednesday, November 9, 2022

2022 11 Oaxaca With Michael deMeng Dia Cinco

 Sunday, October 30, 2022

Today breakfast was at 7:30 as we are going on a field trip so I did not want to go on a walkabout. By 9:00 a.m. we were in the lobby and then boarding two vans for our journey. That leads to my first opportunity to do what I call "Out the Window" photography. Basically I go to the farthest seat on the sidewalk side of the van in order to set my camera on a high shutter speed and then fire away through the window. Here are the results for the first part of this trip. Please note: I do not edit these Out the Window shots but leave them in their random naturalness (with a few exceptions). 

Out the Window Part 1







Was surprise to be passed by a van that had Anthony Bourdain as a passenger
















We arrived a little early for the museum so we had a lecture in the park and a little time to wander for some photography.


Our guide Marta





Then it was time to enter the Museo Estatal de Arte Popular Oaxaca (MEAPO) (State Museum of Popular Art of Oaxaca) in San Bartolo Coyotepec in the state of Oaxaca. 


Their ofrenda

Their Silver Jewelry Exhibit by Antiguas Maravillas

The piece of jewelry I bought for Denice
(Thanks, Colleen)




Here is the wonderful alebrijes exhibition.






Upstairs was the metal work.


Out the Window Part Two


The original

This one I edited which I think makes it a pretty cool street photograph

This one becomes a better photograph when it is changed to black and white






Our next stop was at Taller Manos Que Ven in San Antonio, the workshop of José García Antonio and Teresita Mendoza. 




































The final project after the demo






Next up we visited the Aguilar family of Ocotlán de Morelos, world famous pottery makers who sculpt folk images into wonderful art. 

Josefina












Out the Window Part Three



We stopped for lunch at Amul, a Copal preserve.







Out the Window Part Four








Next we visited the Alebrijes makers Efrain Fuentes and Silvia Gomez in San Martin Tilcatete. 















While my classmates were getting things wrapped up to take home, I wandered around the street where the gallery was located to find some street art. 













Tonight I decided I needed to buckle down a little in the workshop so I skipped going to dinner and then worked until 1:00 a.m. to make up for lost time. 

Painted a backdrop onto a piece of found cardboard


This guy got transformed into this guy.





Late at night, a lonely vigil with the class ofrenda. 



No comments:

Post a Comment