Thursday, May 4, 2023

2023 05 The Wounded Dear

This is the third project that came about as a result of taking the Michael deMeng on line workshop, Peculiar Portraits of Improbable People

I will admit I have a fascination with the art and life of Frida Kahlo. Her art has an appeal for me despite the fact that it often tells a tragic tale from her life. Her life is a mystery to me with me vacillating on the morality of her need for attention and her need to display her turmoil for all to see as art. 

I have made one other piece of art about Frida. 

There Is Nothing Inside Me But a Large Wound, a Hollow Place Where No One Goes, 2016

For this project, I decided to base it on one of her works of art, The Wounded Deer. 

Frida Kahlo, The Wounded Deer, 1946


I don't often think a project through before plunging in but in this case while I was pre-thinking how I was going to approach Frida I asked myself, "What is the key to the mystery of her?"



The deer head came off a fake mount made of plastic, one of those inexplicable home decor chachkies that can be found at most estate sales.





A third artistic influence for this piece was the on-line class I am taking from Domestika called Geometric Collage without Anaesthesia by Susana Blasco. (Warning: while I enjoy these international computer classes, the translations into English are sometimes hysterical). The photograph is by Nickolas Muray.
,



Thus we have The Wounded Dear. It is14"H X 11"W X 6"D. It consists of a 14"X11" Cradled Board, 14x11, Frame, Plastic Deer Head Mount, Keys (55), Nails (22) and Collage.


No comments:

Post a Comment