Thursday, October 10, 2024

2024 10 Four New Works of Art From the Portrait Assemblage Workshop

 I used the optional evening sessions and the three day open studio time at Shake Rag Alley in Mineral Point, WI, while I was teaching Portrait Assemblage to start four projects of my own. When I got home I spent two days finishing these pieces and here they are.

THE FIREMAN'S NET

I encourage my participants to have a story for the Portrait Assemblages they built. The story behind this piece is that the little girl's father was a fireman...but he did not survive a fire where he had to jump into a fireman's net. Sad, huh? The whole story came about when I decided to use the hoop and sewed the "fire" onto the net with some waxed thread.



It consists of a Cradled Board, Hoop, Wood Circle, Cabinet Card, Metal Remnant, Napkin, Tissue Paper, Waxed Thread, Nails (16), and Paint. It is10"H X 10"W X 2"D.

AND MADE MORE NOISE

The story for this piece came when I found the text. This just might have been an era when these two firecrackers were told they could be more lady-like if they made less noise. My story is that only meant they made more.




It consists of a Metal Drawer, Lamp Crystal, Photograph, Frame, Spoon, Checker, Plastic Gear, Lace, Paper and Paint. It is 7"H X 4"W X 3"D.

DON'T STAND THERE GAWKING AT ME!

This piece came about also when I found the text. I chose to place the text across the girl's eyes and then bury her behind her cage. Viewers of this piece will have to get real close to see the real story. 





It consists of two Wood Handles, Oven Burner, Wood Posts (6), Photograph, Metal Shape, Transfer and Paint. It is 18"H X 12"W X 4"W.

NOTES HIS FALSE APPEARANCE AS STRONG AND HEALTHY

I wanted to do a simple collage to relax. I decided to try to create it on an exploded cigar box to give me a cross like shape. The theme comes from the title: I am so sick of having to listen to lies everyday. Its the modern plague.





It consists of an El Producto Cigar Box, Erector Set Parts (2), Lamp Crystal, Paper and Paint. It is 20"H X 12"W X 1"D.

1 comment: