Tuesday, May 28, 2019

2018 Oaxaca, Mexico, with Michael deMeng, Day One and Two


Dream Monsters and Alebrijes: deMeng de Los Muertos

October 23rd to November 5th, 2018

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Today I made poor Denice get up at 3:00 a.m. Central time so we would be at the Coach USA bus terminal in Milwaukee so I could catch the 4:25 a.m. bus to O'Hare Airport in Chicago.

My first flight of the day is Delta to Atlanta, leaving Chicago at 8:13 a.m. and arriving in Atlanta at 11:04 a.m.  The layover is short so I had to get on the shuttle train in the airport to get over to the international flights.  My second flight was Atlanta at 12:18 p.m. to Mexico City at 2:50 p.m.

The day had been going fairly well up to this point but here is where it all came apart.  

First off , I got off the plane in Mexico City with my phone time set on Eastern US time, not Central US time which Mexico City matches.  I was panicking in the really, really long immigration and customs lines in Mexico City thinking was an hour short and might miss my board time for Oaxaca which was listed on the ticket as 4:30 p.m. 

Once I cleared Immigration and Aduana (customs) in Mexico City. I had to pick up my luggage and deliver it to the Oaxaca transfer spot.

After that I ran out to the terminal thinking my flight might be boarding.

As it turns out, Mexico City has been fogged in all day before I got there and everything was delayed.  My 5:50 p.m. departure to Oaxaca did not happen until about 8:30 p.m. as we were delayed in the terminal, boarding and out on the runway.

The good news is I got to Oaxaca on the day I was supposed to.  The bad news was I had not brushed my teeth since 3:00 a.m. in Milwaukee, ate yogurt and airport sandwiches the whole day, and did not get to my room at the hotel until about 11:30 p.m.

My room with a view

Our workshop is at the same hotel every year, the really fine:  Holiday Inn Centro Historic.  Once in my room, and down to my civics, I had to scramble back into my clothes when our workshop leader, Colleen Darling, came and knocked on my door to make sure all was well. 

She is a sweetie and a great workshop leader.

After unpacking, showering and setting up all the devices I was finally in bed at about 1:00 a,m, making this a 22 hour day one.

Wednesday, October 24, 2108

Last night I did something I cannot do at home anymore:  I slept with the balcony door wide open in my room.  It was sort of interesting listening to the night sounds of Oaxaca including the bells the tolled at one point.  In the morning, at 7:30 a.m., I was woken by the music and announcements from a local sequels (school).

Art is everywhere in Oaxaca; even in the hotel hallway

Breakfast today started with My Master Oh My Master, Michael deMeng.  We were joined by K. D. Duncan and Sue Urquhart, as well as our fearless leader Colleen Darling and her major domo, Janet.  We all were in the midst of catching up when Lois arrived from the airport, having been forced to sleep in a hotel pod at the airport when her flight from Mexico City was cancelled.

At 10:30 a.m., we all scattered and since I did not get invited to anyone else's party, I decided to throw my own.

 I started my first walkabout by visiting the park across the street from our hotel.

Next I walked down the Alcala, a pedestrian street that leads to the zocalo, the central core of the city.

"Bilingual Art"

I shopped at the Burro Press and bought a print for my collection.

This bar is one of our rendezvous spots on the Alcala. 

I viewed the Zapotercdeathpoems exhibit.

I stumbled into a comparsa in front of the Iglesias de Santo Domingo Church. Comparsas are celebrations that are part parade, part dance party with bands, marchers and giant puppets.

This dog fell in love with me

I visited the Museo de las Culturas de Oaxaca.  I have been here three other times but I have never taken the time to visit this place.

The views out the windows are worth the price of admission

Outside is the botanical gardens


I took the time to look around the Santo Domingo Church.

The ofrendas are already being offered in Oaxaca

I ate lunch at Casa Mayordomo where I had soup and mole. The quest today was to see if I could survive in Oaxaca without a command of Spanish so when my waitress offered to give her table up to an English speaking waiter, I said no. We managed, I ate, and a cultural bridge was built.

You have seen some graffiti and some wall art but there is a major change in the historic district of Oaxaca this year. There is a concerted effort to clean up the central city which might be great for some but makes it less photographic for me.

I wandered off the Alcala to go to the Basilica Menor de la Soledad.

I shopped the "eyeball" store and bought eyeballs at La Niña de las Posadas. This is a religious supply store that we raid each year for a lifetime supply of eyes for our constructions. I also bought some resplendors for my art as well.

I saw all the flowers at the Iglesias de la San Felipe Neri.

I shopped the Mercado Benito Juarez.

I shopped the print tallers but was disappointed in the items being sold. However, the outside of this taller building is always a tempting shot.

These two young ladies were willing to pose for the camera 

After a day of walking miles in 80+ degree weather, I headed back to the hotel to shower and change shoes.,

At 6;00 p.m., all the folks who are here headed over to La Olli for dinner.  With the group now is Tina Berrier and her friend Monique.  While we were at the restaurant Marilyn Werst arrived.

After dinner, by 9:30 p.m., I was back in my room and watching the World Series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment