Monday, July 27, 2026

2026 07 Cradle Song

This blog is about the second piece I made at the Gary and Mary Ann Carlson workshop at Bellissima Art Escapes in Port Orchard, WA.

This was how my first piece began at the workshop. 


When the workshop started, the two wings on this audition were a one piece wood tray I purchased in an antique store somewhere on this trip (again: you can never, never, never have enough stuff). Sawed in half, I thought this would add the asymmetry I was learning about in this workshop. But I just felt it did not work and the first piece went in a different direction (please see the previous blog for that story).

I set to work on project two and did not waste the tray wings. 

Asymmetry in action

This is as far as the substrate got in Port Orchard


These are all the parts I shipped home from Bellissima. On the last day there I did have time to paint up a white plaster bust of Brahms which started to give me a story for this one. 


The sheet music

The record player

Final Brahms


The record player gets hooked up

The record's tracks


Thus we have Cradle Song. It is 






No comments:

Post a Comment