The third and last project I started in the Gary and Mary Ann Carlson workshop at Bellissima Art Escapes in Port Orchard, WA, was inspired by a work of Gary Carlson's art hanging in the workshop.
This piece is only about 4" tall and is made up of a few found objects. I decided that in the down time between the two major projects I could work on something equally elegant.
I had brought a paint scraper from home in my stash and that I decided would be my substrate. I did not take any pictures of this one in Port Orchard but it came together rather quickly. The angular piece of metal gave the whole piece the asymmetry I was training on. The tin type (also something I brought from home) started to give me the story I wanted.
When I got home I found the bag of text I had hauled to Washington but never used. However, in that bag was remnants of an old German bible and I selected the text because it fit in the physical space I need and was cool graphics. I was stunned to learn the meaning of this word (according to Wikipedia): Gonntage (German) translates to Indulgence Days, and it added "In Roman Catholicism, an indulgence day historically refers to a specific number of days (e.g., 40 days, 300 days) deducted from a soul's temporal punishment in Purgatory after a forgiven sin."
Not sure what these two men were up to but evidently their sins are forgiven.
Thus we have Gonntage (Indulgence Days). It is 11"H X 6"W X 1"D. It consists of Wood Handled Paint Scraper, Tin Type, Metal Findings, Watch Part, Bottle Cap, Text, Sari Ribbon.





No comments:
Post a Comment