Tuesday, September 1, 2026

2026 08 12 and 13 Milwaukee Irish Fest Set Up and the Grand Hooley

I am a proud volunteer at the largest Irish musical festival in the world: Milwaukee Irish Fest. I have two jobs: the first is on the Decor Crew led by Dale Larson. Our job is to put plastic table cloths on all the tables on the Milwaukee Summerfest grounds. We work Wednesday (before the festival opens) and then each day the festival is open, making sure that all the cloths are clean, neat and secure.  

Our compound trailer

These boxes look so innocent--but they are days of work for us

One of the cool things about being a set-up volunteer is I get to roam the grounds finding the weird, unusual and artist. Here is what I saw.

Sometimes weather does not cooperate at an outdoor festival



This used to be my favorite Irish Food but Wong's has gone out of business


Free Willy!

One of the stage, before it all gets going


Damn weeds





"Comedian"







The Irish are a simple people




The festival opened on Thursday, August 13th for The Grand Hooley. This is essential a sneak-peak of what the festival will be like the rest of the weekend. It is also the time where I switch from decor guy to photography guy when I join the volunteer photographers who cover the festival for the Milwaukee Irish Fest archives.

Most of the 2026 Photography team

Here are some of the best photographs from Thursday, August 13th.



This is Cailini Lua.




No matter what is coming, this is going to be one of my favorite photos of the fest



One of my least favorite things to photograph during the festival are the many dance troops who make up a large part of the entertainment. I do not feel like I get good shots and I feel slightly creepy taking them. Anyway, here are my shots from the Milwaukee Together: An Irish Dance Showcase.








The Diddley Idols (Dave Barckow and Louise Barry)

Louise is a photograph waiting to happen


Even Dave is amazed by Louise on stage











Dave is the drummer for Eileen Iver's Universal Roots. Look who stopped by.



One of the most dynamic and talented bands this year was Biird led by Lisa Canny.












Observation: No matter how many people in the audience the acts always know
where the Irish Fest Photography Crew's cameras are





So that is how I spent the first night of Milwaukee Irish Fest.






















No comments:

Post a Comment