Sometimes when I buy an object I already know how it is going to be used. This was certainly true about this device and so it became a substrate for my latest piece.
This butter knife seemed like a good representative of the domestic life these women probably led.
Continuing that theme, I decided to use some fabrics on this piece to represent perhaps some of the duties or likes of this pair.
I am not a religious person but it surprises me sometimes how often the iconography of religion gets into my art. For these ladies, it seemed appropriate that they have belief in something greater then how they perceive their own lives.
Thus we have Fears Shed, Farewells Uttered and All Forgiveness Granted, The title comes from a poem by Kwame Dawes called Undertaker at the Village Cemetery. It is 18"H X 6"W X 4"D. It consists of Wood Roll Kitchen Object, Cotton Glove, Clock Face, Butter Knife, Crucifix, Tin Type, Cloth and Paint.









No comments:
Post a Comment