Tuesday, August 25, 2026

A Key Recalls the Shape of Its Doorway

This project was started while I was taking an online workshop with Michael deMeng called Latchkey Reliquaries.  I guess the idea of doing something with "a key" got a little out of hand in my house.

I papered over a 36"H X 12"W cradled board

This plastic soldier has been hanging in my basement for years

I auditioned these parts to get going

From my stash I gathered hundreds of keys and screwed them into the board

Some of the parts were attached

Dog tags for decor

The helmet was influenced by samurai warrior style

More building goes on


In order to get the painting going, I started with a total white base coat. This reminded me of one of my favorite assemblage artists, Kris Kuksi. Kuksi's art is enormous and very impressive.


Now the painting begins.


I painted on this work for THREE days, an honestly, I am not sure I am still happy; however, I am going to consider it done.










Thus we have A Key Recalls the Shape of Its Doorway. The title comes from a poem by Lena Khalaf Tuffaha called In Case of Emergency. It is 41"H X 15"W X 8"D. It consists of a Cradled Board, Film Reels, Plastic Soldier, Metal Keys, Plastic Key, Plastic Cone, Wings, Metal Eagle Finial, Metal Round, Jewelry, Industrial Metal Finding, Plastic Toy Figure, Watch Part and a Bell.


No comments:

Post a Comment