Friday, June 2, 2023

2023 06 I Do Not Pin the Least Butterfly Of Life On Importance

This piece began as a result of taking the online class Construct: Plaster and Paint with Crystal Marie. One of the lessons was to construct a substrate out of multiple layers of corrugated cardboard. 


I did not have any corrugated cardboard so I decided to use foam core. I cut the biggest piece of foam core I had down to 20" x 9". I then glued the pieces together and clamped them to dry.

While they were drying, I auditioned some assemblage pieces for the main subject. When I saw this Monarch Whole Cloves Box at a recent flea market, I knew exactly what I was going to do with. Normally I am not this literal (or this pretty) with my concepts but I when where the art muses where taking me.


One of the lessons in Crystal's class was to use plaster casting material and I decided to use it as a design element on the horizons of this piece. 





While I liked the plaster cast a lot, I decided to use another element as a layer. I used a piece of my homemade rust dyed paper that had a tint of blue in it. 







Thus we have I Do Not Pin the Least Butterfly Of Life On Importance. The title of this piece comes from a poem by Andre Breton called Spectral Attitudes.

It is 20"H X 9"W X 4"D. It consists of a Monarch Whole Cloves Box, Cherub Head, Metal Butterfly Wings, Lock, Clock Face, Grandfather Clock Pendulum, Metal Corners (4), Nails (12), Plaster Cast Cloth, Foam Core, Rust Paper and Paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment